Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My Introduction: Dr. Thomas

Hello, I am Paul Thomas, your FYW professor. My writing is under the name P. L. Thomas because I fell in love with the poetry of e.e. cummings and the fiction of J.D. Salinger.

I have been a teacher for thirty years—eighteen years as a high school English teacher at Woodruff High (Woodruff, SC) and the last twelve as a professor in the Education Department here at Furman.

I am also a writer. I have written and edited many books, I have chapters in several books, I am very proud of my Kurt Vonnegut scholarship, I write poetry, and I write original blogs many days each week, usually on issues related to education.

I have been a serious cyclist for almost thirty years, also. I ride about 4-5 days a week and about 8,000 to 10,000 miles a year. Each year, a few friends and I do a 220+ mile ride to the beach in one day, about 14 hours of cycling.

I also do a good bit of work and posting on Twitter: @plthomasEdD.

I enjoy science fiction so two of my favorite movies are Blade Runner and Solaris.

My favorite authors are Kurt Vonnegut, Margaret Atwood, Haruki Murakami, Neil Gaiman, Cormac McCarthy, Milan Kundera, and dozens more (I read a lot and have many, many books).

I enjoy The National, CAKE, R.E.M., Ben Folds, Beck, Fiona Apple, and many other musical performers and groups.

I love teaching and especially love to teach writing. I am excited about our class, and hope you enjoy this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment